Wednesday, October 31, 2012

we could live in a matchbox
and eat embers for breakfast
i could taste your lips just once a day 
and crawl to bed each night, nourished

it was a few years before i could sing as loudly as mom did. and before that it took a few years for me to not be afraid in the open. Now though, there is just... so much space. And I have to fill it with something. 

My eyes had drifted over the ocean, unfocused in the direction of the setting sun. Apparently that is not good for my eyes, but since I know there is a line directly from my pupils to my heart, I am not immediately concerned.  It just gets so dark sometimes, gotta soak up whatever you can.

The bulb dipped under the water.

"Margot, you get to see this every day. It always blows my mind."
"I know. Mine too, still."  She didn't have to ask to what I was referring - the way the sun drags her way down, afraid to leave the sky, until right before the horizon, when she falls. A quick, final surrender.


No comments:

Post a Comment