Saturday, December 8, 2012

Cheese

Last night, J and I went to Beta to see Kill the Noise. I got home at 3AM, knowing full-well that I would be waking up at 6AM to run a 5k in an ugly Christmas sweater.

By the time I got home later this morning, I looked around the kitchen for something to make/eat, and remembered the anaheim and bell peppers sitting on the counter - they were starting to look a little soft, so I figured I could give a shot at roasting them.

Then I fell asleep for a few hours, woke up to my stomach yelling at me. I decided to make an old standby, figuring the morning run and lack of caloric sustenance throughout the day warranted a treat. This was one of the first meals I ever learned to make, thanks to mom. Queso and beans. You can even call them beanses if you are feeling nostalgic (a family colloquiallism that dates back to 'buelita's comical troubles with the English language). But do not ask me why it isn't queso y frijoles. It just isn't.

Queso: I warmed half a roasted anaheim, half of a roasted green bell pepper, some minced garlic, and some tomatoes. Then I added monterey jack cheese and milk - warm til melty and delicious.

The beans were a standard can of no-salt-added black beans, plus some tomatoes and chiles, minced garlic, salt, black pepper, cayenne, chili powder, paprika, and a splash of the red wine I was drinking.




It was good. And there are leftovers for days, which means I need to hit the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment