Saturday, October 8, 2011

she said to cut the daisy from my throat

i stood up into the sky,
looked the moon straight in the eye
asked if she would 
come down for a minute.
took her silence as a no
asked if she would instead show 
me how she stays so bright
(night after night)

i sometimes pretend i'm the mermaid
in your third story apartment
maybe that's just an excuse to sing
maybe I'm just like you (with wings)
don't be offended but I'm
the firebird on your roof
letting the   sun rise set    fire to your room
having conversations with the moon.

but i swear, i could see her one
crooked eye open
when her lips parted, i 
swear her teeth were broken.
she said 
look at me, the sun
knocked me on my knees
there's nobody here
to listen to my pleas, please
help me up.

when she isn't being crowded
clouded over fogged through
she rocks above the mountains
blue looks good on you, 
darling.

No comments:

Post a Comment